Here are six key takeaways:
- Core donor groups to understand: Matures, Boomers, Gen X and Gen Y.
- Matures and boomers give more than younger generations, because they give to a greater number of organizations. They don’t give more for each cause.
- Most donors first learn of an org via mainstream media. Gen Y’s mainstream media is the Web.
- A friend’s request is the main reason for giving, across generations.
- Word of mouth is a must. So tell your org’s story well and motivate and train your supporters to tell it too.
- THE critical element for fundraising success is messaging that connects. (Yes!)
I urge you to read this report today. It’s the most valuable 16 pages I’ve read in a long time.
P.S. This report is more evidence that effective messaging is a priority for all organizations, and a key to motivating your audience to give. Learn how to craft the most essential message — your tagline. Download the free 2009 Nonprofit Tagline Report, filled with must-dos, don’t dos, case studies and 2,500+ nonprofit tagline examples!