Nonprofit Management 101 is a practical, comprehensive handbook for marketers like you, introducing you to key practices throughout your organization. Your understanding of how these other core functions work — from human resources to volunteer management and finance — will enable you to get the full picture, and so to put marketing to work more effectively than ever.
The field guide covers the spectrum of social sector management issues, including individual, corporate, and foundation fundraising, earned income, social media, marketing, PR, events, board and volunteer engagement, lobbying and advocacy, and more. But what’s unique here is Nonprofit Management 101′s framework of practical, proven, “by practitioners-for practitioners” advice from Paul Hawken, Lynne Twist, Ami Dar, Kay Sprinkel Grace, Beth Kanter, and 45 other leading experts. It’s the first guide I know of that addresses such a comprehensive set of topics in such a useful format.
Topics covered include:
- Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Collaboration, Partnerships, and Mergers
- Fundraising from Individuals, Companies, Foundations, and Grant Writing
- Earned Income Strategies
- Marketing, Public Relations, and Events
- Technology, Web 2.0 Tools, Social Networking, Online Fundraising, and Website Design
- Board Governance and Volunteer Engagement
- Human Resources and Career Planning
- Legal and Financial Management
- Lobbying and Advocacy
I recommend you read this guide now, and share it as follows:
- With all new hires. Understanding the multiple functions and perspectives, cross organization, is vital for effective collaboration
- With highly-invested volunteers. Again, their understanding of the bigger picture is likely to increase their engagement and enable them to fine-tune their contributions to the effort
- With those considering a career in the nonprofit sector — I can’t think of a better introduction than a combo of volunteering, informational interviewing and reading this book.
P.S. Learn how to strengthen your nonprofit’s marketing impact with the Getting Attention Guide to Nonprofit Marketing Wisdom.