This simple idea is driving a national movement—On Tuesday, November 27, charities like yours are coming together with families and individuals, businesses, communities and and other nonprofits around the world to transform the way people participate in the giving season. Refreshing, right?
Black Friday and Cyber Monday are shopping movements. But donating to a great cause should be treated with at least the same energy and focus.
Let’s send that message loud and clear on Tuesday, November 27, to show that we can give as good as we get. I’m participating, and I hope you will too.
You still have time to jump on Giving Tuesday. Here’s how:
1) Register to be a Giving Tuesday partner to get your partner toolkit.
2) Create your own Partner Page to be listed on the #GivingTuesday website.
3) Spread the word from now through Tuesday via email, your blog, Facebook page and Twitter feed (using the #GivingTuesday hashtag)
- Tell your team and supporters what Giving Tuesday is, and show them why they should care (and why you do too)
- Encourage them to volunteer and/or make a small gift online
- Make it easy for supporters to spread the word about your cause to their friends and family, and ask them to give.
- Email them a handful of sample tweets and Facebook posts for them to cut, paste and use in a flash. Here’s a sample tweet: Grab those post-Thanksgiving deals. But pls save some $ for XXXXXX Give here XXX #GivingTuesday
- Make the same request via Twitter and Facebook
You can also get ideas from what other orgs are doing. For example, Benevolent.net will 1) post and share quotes from its recipients, all of whom are low-income adults who have been helped directly by people’s act of giving, and 2) encourage all donors to tweet and post about their giving experience and include a mention of #GivingTuesday when they do!
Don’t miss this rich opportunity to help your supporters sandwich real giving back in between giving thanks and giving gifts.