I’m in the middle of Tom Peters’ most recent e-book, People First, and want to share four vital takeaways with you. These four steps—clear and doable by every organization, really—have the potential to absolutely transform your organization, so take some time here.
- FORMAL and ongoing marketing training for all employees, leadership and others who touch your organization’s supporters.
- 100% of employees involved!
- EVERY job is a “marketing job,” and says so in the job description with specific responsibilities outlined.
Here are some examples of how all-org marketing teams work:
- The person who answers general calls directs callers on with warmth, interest and enthusiasm.
- The new fundraiser tries to get her idea taken seriously.
- Program staff members provide a sense of “Welcome” and invitation for continued participation.
- Your CEO is “marketing” to the person staffing the info line and the customer service team (the importance of that welcoming attitude) as well as to her board members…and these examples are just the beginning.
And now #4—required to make it a two-way street:
FORMAL training in “Aggressive Listening:” 100% of employees!
Learn more about developing your all-org marketing team:
8 Ways to Build a Team of Effective Messengers
Communications Is Everyone’s Job: Proof Point (Video)
Why Can’t We Be Friends
P.S. Get this free e-guide, The Book That Changed My Life. 129 top reading picks from nonprofit leaders around the world.
Note: I’ve substituted “marketing” here, for Peters’ “sales.”