I have so much to do but don’t know where to start!
That’s the crucial–but seldom acknowledged or discussed–challenge on which I co-led a vibrant mind meld at the Nonprofit Technology Conference (#11NTC), along with superstars Katya Andresen, Kivi Leroux Miller and Sarah Durham.
We were thrilled at the number and engagement level of the hundreds folks squished in the room. In fact, discussion got so lively we were hushed by the organizer of the session in the next room! That request exemplifies the excitement of the crowd in discussing this stuff and in meeting each other–brainstorming partners in the making!
Katya created these summary slides on the fly as we provided one-minute consulting and participants shared their bright ideas on how to:
- Get priorities right
- Balance is crucial between marketing and fundraising efforts, not just within marketing
- Manage up and build leadership buy-in on priorities you set
- Balance incoming requests (agency model) when you’re acting more strategically (i.e. you have your own job to do)
- Do the internal marketing necessary to build support, investment and a team of messengers among your colleagues
- Cut down your program (hint – don’t cut a channel if it’s working, just scale back your effort)
- Break up with social media if the ROI isn’t there.
Here are a few other outtakes on the session:
- How Many Women Do You Need to Balance the World? (with fabulous illustrations), Hoong Yee Lee Karkauer
- What to Do if You Have Too Much to Do , from Katya
What do you have to add to these bright spots? Please share it here.
P.S. Get a jump start on your marketing planning via the Total Focus Marketing Plan Workshop led by Kivi Leroux Miller and me. Karen and Tara participated last fall with great result! 2011 workshops are scheduled for June 16 in Seattle and October 12 in New York City. Learn more now–the workshops sold out last year and 2011 seats are going fast!