There’s so much content around on storytelling, lots of its focused on why stories are so effective.
But there’s far less guidance on helping you know what your story possibilities are, and building your skills in shaping and sharing your stories. That’s what most of you said you wanted to know to become 5-star storytellers, and that’s the focus of this series.
- Our Founding: How your organization was created
- Our Focus: The core challenge you tackle
- Impact Stories: This most-told nonprofit story features the before and after—shows impact of your organization and supporters
- Our People: Donor, staff, volunteer, client/participant profiles
- Strength Stories: How your particular approach adds value to the services you provide, and moves your mission forward
- Our Future: The change you want to make in the world or what your work will lead to.
I’ll be digging into each story type over the coming weeks, and for each one I’ll define its key elements and explain how to use it for greatest impact, with examples. Keep posted!
P.S. If you’re interested in becoming a 5-star storyteller, please email me here. I’ll be introducing a storytelling e-clinic early this spring, and want you to be the first to know. Thanks!
Hat tip to Andy Goodman.
More Storytelling Guidance for You
Part 1: This is Getting in Your Way, Stories Will Help
Part 2: Six Story Types to Tell
Part 3: How to Tell Your Founding Story
Part 4: How to Tell Your Focus Story
Part 5: How to Tell Your Success Stories
Part 5 1/2: How to Tell Your Strength Story
Part 6: How to Tell Your People Stories
Part 7: How To Tell Your Future Story: Nonprofit Storytelling
Part 8: Shape Stories to Motivate Action
Part 9: How Story Trumps Description